Welcome to David Mendelson’s MLB DFS Quick Hits for FanDuel & Draft Kings Contests for Thursday, September 10, 2020
Welcome to today’s edition! On the first day of football season, MLB DFS has gone small tonight with a six-game slate that locks early at 6:40 PM EST. There are a few aces that will be heavily targeted, but hopefully, we can find you some value. As always, bats are bountiful even in a small slate. In these MLB DFS Quick Hits, you’ll see my:
Pitching Plays – My top two pitching plays of the night. The opposing team’s effectiveness against pitcher’s handiness, K rate, and wRC+ are just a few of the items considered here.
Happy Hitters – One corner infielder, middle infielder, and two outfielders who should be smiling at the end of the night. Hitter’s platoon splits, ISO, and wOBA are just a few of the items considered here.
Let’s Get Weird – I will give one hitter and one pitcher lesser owned that MIGHT have a chance to boom but an equal chance to bust. In other words, a dart throw that could set you apart in MLB DFS GPP’s. Your decision if you want to live dangerously.
Let’s dive right into today.
Top MLB DFS Plays for 9/10
- Sandy Alcantara ($6,600 DK / $9,200 FD) – Starting off here with Alcantara, coming off a 6 IP 1 ER 8 K game. I like what I’ve seen in limited action from Mr. Alcantara. The Phillies have a good offense but are not as good on the road. Their K rate spikes up to 25% and they have a pretty bad .156 ISO vs RHP. This should help Alcantara keep the ball in the ballpark and build off his strong start to the season.
- Dustin May ($8,800 DK / $7,600 FD) – The K’s may not be there, but Gingerguard has gone at least 5 innings in 5 of his last 6 starts. He’s on the bump tonight against a Diamondbacks squad over the last month that is hitting .207 with a bottom-five wRC+ at 80. The Dodgers should be hitting on a tee tonight against the ghost of Madbum, which should allow May to settle in nicely against this offense.
- Corner Infield: Brandon Belt ($3,300 DK / $ 3,200 FD) – He may just become a staple here, especially vs RHP. Paddack hasn’t looked great this season and Belt is crushing the ball recently, leading baseball in wRC+ vs RHP over the last month. He is hitting .372 with 6 of his 7 HRs vs this handiness. Don’t overthink it and play the hot hand with this one.
- Middle Infield: Mike Brosseau ($4,700 DK / $2,600 FD) – I’ll happily plugin lefty masher Brosseau here. Last time he faced a LHP, he hit 2 HR’s and is hitting .351 with 4 HR’s against them this season. In a divisional matchup, I think he’s a great play and should be the center of any Rays stack you use.
- Outfielder #1: AJ Pollock ($3,900 DK / $3,000 FD) – Yeah, Madbum is on the mound. He and his 8.44 ERA. Pollock has been the best Dodgers hitter vs LHP hitting .359 with a 1.007 OPS. He should be in the middle of a lineup that can score a lot of runs tonight.
- Outfielder #2: Alex Dickerson ($4,200 DK / $2,800 FD) – It’s 2020 and the Giants are an offensive juggernaut. Dickerson has an insane .440 ISO vs RHP and a 182 wRC+ over the last month. We know Dickerson can hit the long ball and I feel one from him tonight.
Let’s Get Weird
- Josh Fleming ($5,900 DK / $7,700 FD) – Over 3 starts this season, he hasn’t been bad at all. He’s accumulated a 3-0 record with a 3.52 ERA and an impressive 1.07 WHIP in 15.1 IP. With Mike Kickham on the opposite side, I expect the Rays offense to give him plenty of run support to help him qualify for a W, which he has going at least 5 IP in every start. The Red Sox have a 24% K rate for LHP over the last month of the season and could be picked on by a gutsy GPP pitcher in Fleming.
- Hunter Renfroe ($3,300 DK / $2,700 FD) – There’s no sugar-coating this one. He’s struck out over 30% of the time vs LHP over the last 30 days. He does, however, have a .500 ISO and okay 129 wRC+. You’re really hoping he runs into one honestly, but against the barely used Red Sox pitcher Kickham, he just may do that and differentiate your lineup.
Make sure to follow me on twitter @DMendy02 and tag me if I helped you win some cash on this MLB DFS slate. Good luck!
Fantrax was one of the fastest-growing fantasy sites of 2019, and we’re not letting our foot off the pedal now! With multi-team trades, designated commissioner/league managers, and drag/drop easy click methods, Fantrax is sure to excite the serious fantasy sports fan – sign up now for a free year at Fantrax.com.