The third base position is full of power, and there are plenty more power hitters on the way. If Spencer Torkelson does stick at third base long term, the future could be very bright for the position. There is a chance that my top two ranked at the position could move off. But for now, Torkelson and Austin Martin remain on the list of top third base OBP prospect rankings.
What?! Your league is not planning on using Fantrax? Inconceivable! Check out everything Fantrax has to offer and I’m sure you’ll come around to our way of thinking.
Third Base OBP Prospect Rankings
Third Base 2021 Impact Prospects
- Ke’Bryan Hayes seems poised to make the most significant impact of any third-base prospect. Hayes brings an intriguing skill set of developing power, speed, and an excellent hit tool to the hot corner.
- Bobby Dalbec has been lighting up the box scores with a stellar Spring Training performance so far. Through 31 plate appearances, Dalbec is slashing .333/.419/.926 with 5 home runs. You can expect him to be a much better asset in OBP leagues thanks to a high walk rate, but if Dalbec makes more contact this year, watch out! 30 home runs are not out of the realm of possibilities.
- Josh Jung is a player that many believed would debut early for the Rangers. Unfortunately, he is dealing with a foot injury, and at the time of writing, the extent is unknown. It likely all but rules out Jung’s chances of breaking camp with the team. If the injury isn’t serious, Jung could be up early-to-mid season and provide solid impact for Fantasy purposes.
Third Base Breakout
- Rece Hinds is my pick for a breakout at the third base position. Hinds was the Cincinnati Reds second-round pick in the 2019 draft. His debut only lasted three games before a quad injury ended his season early. Hinds has massive raw power, but the question marks were always with his hit tool. Reports out of the Reds’ alt site and the instructional league gave Hinds rave reviews. He posted a max exit velocity of 117 mph in instructs while also seeing his hit tool improve significantly. How this carries over into the 2021 season is yet to be seen. But, Hinds has an intriguing skill set and seems poised to be a breakout in 2021.
Rece Hinds (@HindsRece) shines 🌞
The @LSUbaseball commit & top 2019 #MLBDraft prospect goes off in the 🥇 game of @USABaseball #TOS18, to the tune of two homers and 7 RBIs. More: https://t.co/kVXvqDMyVi pic.twitter.com/XfVSBgqfVq
— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) June 23, 2018
Third Base Faller
- Sherten Apostel is a player who has the tools but has yet to pull together the breakout season everyone has been waiting for. In 2019, he hit 19 home runs over 478 plate appearances, but he slashed just .251/.339/.440. The Rangers did call him up last season, but Apostel mustered just two hits in 21 plate appearances. If his hit tool does not take the next step, Apostel will never be able to tap into his raw power. 2021 will be a big make or break season for the 22-year-old.
Media Credits: MLB Pipeline
For more great rankings, strategy, and analysis check out the 2021 FantraxHQ Fantasy Baseball Draft Kit. We’ll be adding more content from now right up until Opening Day!
Fantrax was one of the fastest-growing fantasy sites of 2020 and we’re not stopping now. With multi-team trades, designated commissioner/league managers, and drag/drop easy click methods, Fantrax is sure to excite the serious fantasy sports fan – sign up now for a free year at Fantrax.com.