The second base position has long been considered shallow for Fantasy Baseball purposes. On the prospect side, the position lacks a true standout but does have depth. Who tops the positional rankings, and who could be on the rise this season? Let’s dive into the second base OBP prospect rankings.
Positional Prospect Rankings: C, 1B
What?! Your league is not planning on using Fantrax? Inconceivable! Check out everything Fantrax has to offer and I’m sure you’ll come around to our way of thinking.
Second Base OBP Prospect Rankings
|18||Alex De Jesus||LAD||18||2024|
Second Base Prospect 2021 Impact
- Nick Madrigal is poised to make the biggest impact among second basemen in 2021. He will be the White Sox everyday second baseman in a stacked lineup. Madrigal has one of the best hit tools in the game as well as plus speed. Even hitting at the bottom of the Madrigal feels like a safe bet to hit for a high average and steal 20+ bases. The power is virtually non-existent, but if you are looking for speed and a batting average boost late in drafts, Madrigal is your guy.
- Jeter Downs is another player who can make a significant impact this season. Enrique Hernandez is currently penciled in to play second base for the Red Sox in 2021. I do not think Hernandez keeps Downs from earning a spot if he is dominating Triple-A early on. I expect a mid-season call-up for Downs, who has an extremely high floor. Downs isn’t flashy but can provide a solid batting average and has good power and speed. He will hit a ton of doubles off the green monster in Fenway. Downs’ skillset earns him the top spot for the second base OBP prospect rankings.
- Jazz Chisholm is in a spring battle for the Marlins’ second base job. Chisholm debuted last season in Miami and struggled, slashing .161/.242/.563. Chisholm has loud tools with both his power and speed. His hit tool has always been questionable, but Chisholm has more value for OBP leagues thanks to the high walk rates he posts. If Chisholm wins the job, he could be an intriguing late-round target in OBP leagues for 2021.
Second Base Prospect Breakout
- Michael Busch reportedly had an incredible summer and fall at the alternate training site, and fall instructs. Reports say he was the best hitter in the fall instructional league in all of Arizona. Busch has a good feel for the barrel and plus raw power. He is also an OBP machine, thanks to his high walk rates. His skillset really plays up in an OBP format. Do not be surprised when Busch pops off this year. Buy him now in dynasty leagues before his value soars.
Michael Busch leadoff 💣! #DodgersST pic.twitter.com/Ef2hDQv3pt
— SportsNet LA (@SportsNetLA) March 10, 2021
Second Base Prospect Faller
- There is no clear faller at the second base position, but you could make a case for Vidal Brujan. 2021 will be a huge season for his development, and it will be important to watch if the power comes around. Brujan has a plus hit tool and double-plus speed, but if his power does not develop, what makes him any different than Nick Madrigal. There is also a lack of at-bats available in Tampa Bay. Brujan’s future outlook for Fantasy would be more clear if he were with another organization.
Media Credits: Sports Net LA, Icon Sports Wire
Fantrax was one of the fastest-growing fantasy sites of the last few years and we’re not stopping now! With multi-team trades, designated commissioner/league managers, and drag/drop easy click methods, Fantrax is sure to excite the serious fantasy sports fan – sign up now for a free year at Fantrax.com.