Welcome to David Mendelson’s MLB DFS Quick Hits for FanDuel & Draft Kings Contests for Thursday, September 3, 2020
Wow, we have a teeny-tiny four-game slate tonight that locks at 7:10 PM EST. We’ve got two high-end arms, pitchers that can blow up with high K upside, and one to stay completely clear from. Pay attention to these hitters today as with only four games, the pickings are slim. In these MLB DFS Quick Hits, you’ll see my:
Pitching Plays – My top two pitching plays of the night. The opposing team’s effectiveness against pitcher’s handiness, K rate, and wRC+ are just a few of the items considered here.
Happy Hitters – One corner infielder, middle infielder, and two outfielders who should be smiling at the end of the night. Hitter’s platoon splits, ISO, and wOBA are just a few of the items considered here.
Let’s Get Weird – I will give one hitter and one pitcher lesser owned that MIGHT have a chance to boom but an equal chance to bust. In other words, a dart throw that could set you apart in MLB DFS GPP’s. Your decision if you want to live dangerously.
Let’s dive right into today.
Top MLB DFS Plays for 9/3
- Clayton Kershaw ($10,300 DK / $10,900 FD) – I don’t like to pick the obvious, especially for pitching plays. It doesn’t allow anyone reading this to separate themselves from the rest of the field. With only 8 pitchers going, however, I want to make sure the best plays are included. Kershaw will be the chalk but damn, has he been good. 4-1 with a 1.80 ERA and 33 K’s in 30 IP is the definition of damn good. Add that the Diamondbacks are 2nd worst in wRC+ vs LHP over the last few weeks and you have the best play of the day in your MLB DFS lineups.
- Taijuan Walker ($4,800 DK / $9,200 FD) – Walker seems to be enjoying his new surroundings, evidence by his strong 6 innings in his first start with the Jays. Boston is middle of the road vs RHP but just lost their best bat who crushed righties in Mitch Moreland, so this team can be had. With slim pickings, this could be the pick away from the chalk Kershaw. He’s also a STEAL at only $4,800 on DK!!
- Corner Infield: Max Muncy ($5,000 DK / $ 3,600 FD) – Muncy is going against the Righty Luke Weaver. He is 7th in all of baseball over the last few weeks in hard-contact percentage and has a 50% fly-ball rate over this period as well. Combine that with a 196 wRC+ and I’m loving the chance for a Muncy Dinger tonight. He’s only 2B eligible on FD so a great pivot is our “Getting Weird” play.
- Middle Infield: Corey Seager ($4,900 DK / $3,900 FD) – The second Dodger to make the list, Seager has been on a nice stretch recently, hitting .394 with a .518 wOBA over the last two weeks against RHP. Stack your Dodgers folks.
- Outfielder #1: Randal Grichuk ($3,800 DK / $3,400 FD) – The Baby Blue Jays have been tearing the cover off the ball recently. RG is right at the center of that with a .370 BA and .556 ISO. He’s not walking which is the only flaw to his breakout this season but he looks to have really made some swing changes and mechanical adjustments. Oh, and the LHP he’s facing Martin Perez is known to blow up a time or two.
- Outfielder #2: Luis Robert ($4,700 DK / $3,600 FD) – A .333 BA, 1.212 OPS, and .467 ISO. That’ll work against the lefty Duffy for the Royals. The White Sox could be a sneaky stack if you’re trying to stay away from the Dodgers that everyone will pick. Robert to go along with Tim Anderson should be at the top of any Sox stack you make.
Let’s Get Weird
- Andrew Heaney ($8,400 DK / $8,500 FD) – Yeah, I’m scared of the Padres offense too. No, I would not go here unless you really want to get crazy. The case for Heaney? He has a 2.45 career ERA vs San Diego and a 3.89 home ERA compared to a 5.07 road ERA. He also has high K upside, coming off a 10 K start vs the Mariners. Tread lightly with this pick.
- Christian Walker ($4,100 DK / $3,000 FD) – If you don’t have Kershaw as your pitcher, this is a great call to make. Walker is HOT at the plate, even if he hasn’t been hitting home runs. You know what might fix that? Going against Kershaw. Walker is 6-13 for his career off Kershaw, with 4 HOMERUNS! Yeah, say no more. Contrarian play today for sure.
Make sure to follow me on twitter @DMendy02 and tag me if I helped you win some cash on this MLB DFS slate. Good luck!
Fantrax was one of the fastest-growing fantasy sites of 2019 and we’re not letting our foot off the pedal now! With multi-team trades, designated commissioner/league managers, and drag/drop easy click methods, Fantrax is sure to excite the serious fantasy sports fan – sign up now for a free year at Fantrax.com.