MLB DFS Quick Hits to Target on 8/25/20
Welcome to David Mendelson’s MLB DFS Quick Hits for FanDuel & Draft Kings Contests for Tuesday, August 25, 2020
We have a nice 10-game slate tonight that locks at 7:10 PM EST. There are some BIG GUNS at the top of the pitching lineup, headlined Gerrit Cole and Shane Bieber. While they’re always great plays, for the purpose of this article, I’ll give a few more DFS options. As always, there are some great bats in play. In these MLB DFS quick hits, you’ll see my:
Pitching Plays – My top two pitching plays of the night. The opposing team’s effectiveness against pitcher’s handiness, K rate, and wRC+ are just a few of the items considered here.
Happy Hitters – One corner infielder, middle infielder, and two outfielders who should be smiling at the end of the night. Hitter’s platoon splits, ISO, and wOBA are just a few of the items considered here.
Let’s Get Weird – I will give one hitter and one pitcher lesser owned that MIGHT have a chance to boom but an equal chance to bust. In other words, a dart throw that could set you apart in MLB DFS GPP’s. Your decision if you want to live dangerously.
Let’s dive right into today.
Top MLB DFS Plays for 8/25
- Luis Castillo ($9,600 DK / $9,100 FD) – Milwaukee is hitting…..198 vs RHP this season. They are striking out 27% of the time. Against the Change-up, they rank 12th worst in baseball against that pitch. Why is that important? That is Luis Castillo’s most dominant pitch. All of this equals a potential dominant effort in this matchup for Mr. Castillo.
- Lucas Giolito ($9,700 DK / $10,400 FD) – Any ace going against the Pittsburgh Pirates has my attention. Did you not see what Shane Bieber just did to them when I recommended him last article? The Pirates aren’t as bad as the Brewers against RHP, but they are pretty darn close. They are hitting .210 as a team and have the worst wRC+ in baseball at a putrid 60. Should be strikeouts a-plenty in this start after dominating his last time out.
- Corner Infield: Austin Nola ($4,000 DK / $ 2,600 FD) – The lesser-known Nola brother. Nola has hit safely in 5 straight games, going 8-20 with 2 HRs and 7 RBI. He’s slashing .298/.344/.524 on the season and is scorching hot right now. Yes, Nola should have some fun tonight in your MLB DFS lineups.
- Middle Infield: Tim Anderson ($5,400 DK / $4,000 FD) – Facing Steven Brault, who has been good. Tim Anderson has been better. He is annihilating lefties with a .917 ISO and insane 454 wRC+. He will be higher owned but against a poor Pittsburgh staff who he’ll get a couple at-bats against the bullpen against, I’m all in.
- Outfielder #1: Wil Myers ($3,400 DK / $3,000 FD) – Believe it or not, Wil Myers is tied for first in the NL in terms of ISO against left-handed pitchers. He’s hit 5 of his 7 HR’s at home this season and has a .407 BA vs LHP’s this season. The Padres are a good stack in general but I like specifically Myers a lot tonight in my MLB DFS lineups.
- Outfielder #2: Robbie Grossman ($3,900 DK / $3,200 FD) – Facing off against the guy who throws cat food: Meow Mix (Kyle Gibson), Grossman is a great MLB DFS play. He’s facing a righty in which he’s accumulated a .279/.417/.588 slash line this year and has a top-notch 174 wRC+. I like this matchup in Texas where the ball can have a tendency to leave the yard.
Let’s Get Weird
- Adam Wainwright ($8,400 DK / $8,200 FD) – This veteran feels like a safe pick, but will be probably under-owned due to the great slate of pitching. Wainwright is going to opposing Matt Harvey who, always seems to help the opposing offense out when they’re struggling. Those runs I’m expecting to support Wainwright will help him get a potential W. Also the Royals as a team strike out 25% of the time vs RHP and have a meager .166 ISO. I’m liking the Cards to get old Waino a victory in this one.
- Ryan McMahon ($4,100 DK / $3,000 FD) – Okay okay, the Rockies on the road are nothing special. McMahon is consistently a MUCH better hitter at Coors than away. BUT, McMahon has faired well against LHP with a .429 ISO. This will be a VERY contrarian play but if he hits, will differentiate you tremendously in your MLB DFS GPP.
Make sure to follow me on twitter @DMendy02 and tag me if I helped you win some cash on this MLB DFS slate. Good luck!
Fantrax was one of the fastest-growing fantasy sites of 2019, and we’re not letting our foot off the pedal now! With multi-team trades, designated commissioner/league managers, and drag/drop easy click methods, Fantrax is sure to excite the serious fantasy sports fan – sign up now for a free year at Fantrax.com.